Tunkhannock celebrates its heritage with Founder’s Day June 25
Coal Town Rounders to perform in Lakeside Wednesday Concert Series July 6 at Hillside Park
Rotary Club of the Abingtons to light up the sky with fireworks display Saturday, July 2
Abington Community Library hosts Native American mini pow wow in its parking lot
Abington area summer day camps guide 2016
- Summit University of Pennsylvania to modify name to Clarks Summit University July 5 - 4:41 pm
- Our Lady of Peace students among Lackawanna Blind Association poster contest winners - 2:32 pm
- Abington students graduate from Wyoming Seminary Lower School - 2:30 pm
- Abington area students recognized by The University of Scranton - 2:22 pm
- Abington Heights, Lackawanna Trail students graduate from Leadership Lackawanna teen program - 2:14 pm
- Lakeland Jr-Sr High School announces fourth quarter honor roll - 10:57 am
- After losing her home, Tunkhannock woman has rebuilt her life - 5:22 pm
- Dietrich movie mania for the week of June 29, 2016 - 5:01 pm
- Community calendar for the week of June 29, 2016 - 4:58 pm
- Arts and entertainment calendar for the week of June 29, 2016 - 4:52 pm
- Abington Heights, Scranton Prep graduates receive honors at The University of Scranton - 4:42 pm
- Abington area students named to dean’s list at Penn State University - 4:35 pm
- Abington area students graduate from Penn State University - 3:48 pm
- Countryside Community Church holds fishing derby in Newton Twp. June 25 - 3:28 pm
- Lee D. Kliewer named dean of Summit University’s Baptist Bible Seminary - 2:40 pm
- Tunkhannock celebrates its heritage with Founder’s Day June 25 - 2:31 pm
- Abington Heights High School releases 2015-2016 fourth quarter honor roll - 1:40 pm
- Abington Heights School Board approves 2016-17 budget with tax increase - 1:34 pm
- Clarks Summit student Katie Bosket named to Olivet Nazarene University dean’s list - 11:15 am
- Coal Town Rounders to perform in Lakeside Wednesday Concert Series July 6 at Hillside Park - 10:12 am
- LACKAWANNA COUNTY RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: June 15 to June 21 - 10:06 am
- Scranton Area Community Foundation grant supports The Gathering at Keystone College - 10:03 am
- This Week In Local History: Campers, folklore and U.S. Olympics in news of the past - 10:02 am
- Scranton Area Foundation announces James F. Swift Scholarship recipients - 9:58 am
- Rotary Club of the Abingtons to light up the sky with fireworks display Saturday, July 2 - 9:45 am updated: 9:40 am.
- Lackawanna County pools and lakes open for the summer - 9:37 am
- Keystone College awards degrees to 306 students during commencement - 9:32 am
- Abington Community Library hosts Native American mini pow wow in its parking lot - 9:29 am
- Abington area students graduate from Kutztown University - 9:26 am
- Abington Heights Class of 1981 planning August reunion - 9:23 am
- More Than Movies: Walking tours, birds of prey highlight Dietrich Theater schedule - 9:21 am
- Presentation on raptors set for the Dietrich Theater in July - 9:17 am
- State Sen. Lisa Baker named as one of The Arc of Pennsylvania’s Legislators of the Year - 2:28 pm updated: 2:58 pm.
- Lakeland High School relay team honored by Lackawanna County Commissioners - 2:16 pm
- LACKAWANNA COUNTY RESTAURANT INSPECTIONS: June 8 to June 13 - 1:34 pm
- State police seek endangered person missing from Clarks Summit State Hospital - 11:28 am
- NEPA Law Enforcement Seminar slated for June 24 at the Clarks Summit Fire Hall - 11:27 am
- Dalton Borough to lease new police vehicle - 5:38 pm
- Strawberry Day 5K held in Clarks Summit, benefits The Gathering Place - 5:23 pm
- Abington area summer day camps guide 2016 - 4:57 pm
- Children’s Advocacy Center awarded grant from Scranton Area Foundation - 4:15 pm
- Waverly Township student named to dean’s list at Seton Hall University - 3:33 pm
- Abington Heights grad smells success with Scranton business Note Fragrances - 3:25 pm
- Community calendar for week of June 22, 2016 - 3:19 pm
- Arts and entertainment calendar for week of June 22, 2016 - 3:17 pm
- Keystone College to hold ServSafe class July 20 - 3:13 pm
- Dalton Community Library kicks off summer with performance by The Amazing Magi - 3:12 pm
- Keystone College to host Jazz Institute July 25-29, registration now open - 2:37 pm
- Lackawanna County Recycling Center accepting electronics free-of-charge until June 30 - 2:34 pm
- Abington area students earn academic recognition at Luzerne County Community College - 12:38 pm
Arts and entertainment calendar for the week of June 29, 2016
VISUAL ARTS/PERFORMING ARTSLakeside Wednesday Concert Series, 6 p.m. to dusk every Wednesday through Aug. 31 at Hillside Park, South Abington Township...
Abington Heights, Scranton Prep graduates receive honors at The University of Scranton
SCRANTON — Three Abington area students were among the members of The University of Scranton’s undergraduate class of 2016 honored for aca...
Abington area students named to dean’s list at Penn State University
The following Abington area students were named to the dean’s list at Penn State University for the 2016 spring semester:AltoonaMaria B. Gibson,...
Abington area students graduate from Penn State University
The following Abington area students graduated from Penn State University following the spring 2016 semester:HarrisburgChad D. Faraday, of South Abing...
Countryside Community Church holds fishing derby in Newton Twp. June 25
NEWTON TWP. — Countryside Community Church held its annual fishing derby at the pond near Abington Heights Middle School located on Newton-Ranso...
Lee D. Kliewer named dean of Summit University’s Baptist Bible Seminary
CLARKS SUMMIT — Summit University of Pennsylvania selected Lee D. Kliewer to be the new dean of Baptist Bible Seminary. The university made the ...
Lakeland High School relay team honored by Lackawanna County Commissioners
The Lackawanna County Commissioners presented a Certificate of Recognition to members of the Lakeland High School 4 x 4 gold medal 1,600-meter state c...
Strawberry Day 5K held in Clarks Summit, benefits The Gathering Place
CLARKS SUMMIT — The second annual Clarks Summit Strawberry Day 5K Run/Walk and Kids Fun Run, sponsored by the National Running Center on Davis S...
Scranton Tennis Club hosts doubles tournaments
CLARKS SUMMIT — In the Blind Draw Mixed Doubles tournament held at the Scranton Tennis Club this past weekend, Justin Muthler and Patti Ostroski...
Abington area student-athletes selected to conference All-Academic team
LA PLUME — A record 50 Keystone College student-athletes were named to the Colonial States Athletic Conference’s 2015-16 Winter/Spring All...
Abington Little League scores for the week of June 11, 2016
Saturday, June 11F. Smith and Sons 13South Abington Police 11Winning pitcher Matt Tresslar also had two hits. John Rich had two hits and Roman Cutrofe...
Clarks Summit brothers preparing to represent Pennsylvania at national wrestling event
CLARKS SUMMIT — Brothers Jake and Matt Dailey have both reached the highest level of Pennsylvania youth wrestling.Next, the Clarks Summit reside...
MULTIMEDIA - PHOTO STORE
Man on the Street: ‘What do you like best about living in America?’
“Being free — I think that sums it all up.”Nadine BurneyPittston“Because America is great.”Nancy SanfilippoSouth Abingto...
Coal Town Rounders to perform in Lakeside Wednesday Concert Series July 6 at Hillside Park
SOUTH ABINGTON TWP. — The Coal Town Rounders will bring its bluegrass sounds to the Hillside Park stage at 6 p.m. July 6 for the third show in t...
Lackawanna County pools and lakes open for the summer
SCRANTON — The lakes and pool at Lackawanna County’s parks officially opened Friday, June 24. All of the locations are staffed with lifegu...
Abington Heights Class of 1981 planning August reunion
The Abington Heights Class of 1981 will hold its 35th reunion from 4 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 13 at The Scranton Canoe Club in Lake Winola. The cost i...
More Than Movies: Walking tours, birds of prey highlight Dietrich Theater schedule
Editor’s note: This week’s column was written by Dietrich Theater Program Director Margie Young.Tunkhannock should be bursting with pride ...
Presentation on raptors set for the Dietrich Theater in July
TUNKHANNOCK — Bill Streeter, executive director of the Delaware Valley Raptor Center, will present Close Encounters with Birds of Prey at 11 a.m...
More Than Movies: Dietrich Theater offers a variety of children’s camps this summer
Powerful.That is how I would describe National Theatre Live’s production of “A Streetcar Named Desire,” which I saw last Sunday on s...
Letter to the Editor: Science proves the negative effects of GMOs
Editor:In last week’s story on local farmers meeting with Pennsylvania Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding and state Rep. Sid Michaels Kavulic...
Letter to the Editor: Congratulations and a plea to area high school, college graduates
Editor:Dear Graduates,Congratulations on all of the accomplishments that you achieved during your high school or college career. As you begin the next...
Parenting, Abington Style: The end-of-the-school-year slump rears its head
We’ve had our first couple of 90-degree days. PSSAs are over. Pools are open. The science fair is in the history books. Shore plans are made.The...
More Than Movies: Films, festival and Founders Day at the Dietrich
Summer is here, which means it is blockbuster time at the Dietrich Theater. And boy, are there so many great films to choose from, including “Fi...
Rotary Club of the Abingtons: Club donates funds to The Gathering Place
A check for $1,000 was presented from the Rotary Club of the Abingtons to The Gathering Place at a recent Rotary Club meeting, held at the Ramada Inn....
Francis Smith & Sons, Inc. continues to grow and evolve after 80 years in business
SCOTT TWP. — Francis Smith & Sons, Inc. has served the Abingtons for 80 years and Craig Smith, the third generation president, plans to cont...
Hearing Health USA opens Clarks Summit office
CLARKS SUMMIT — Hearing Health USA, which operates at more than 70 locations throughout the northeast, held a grand opening on Thursday, May 12 ...
Abington area business owners recognized by Lackawanna County Commissioners
On & On Marketplace of Scranton was the small business spotlighted at the May 3 Lackawanna County Commissioners meeting. South Abington Township r...
Times Leader launches redesigned website
WILKES-BARRE — The Times Leader website has a new look. The redesigned, comprehensive site — launched Thursday evening — provides readers eas...
Duffy’s Coffee House hosts Abington Journal’s 2016 Best of the Abingtons Readers’ Choice Awards
CLARKS SUMMIT — The Abington Journal held its 2016 Best of the Abingtons Readers’ Choice Awards ceremony Tuesday, April 26 at Duffy’...
Ado Salon offers tanning, hair services in Abington Shopping Center
SOUTH ABINGTON TWP. — Stephanie Gercken, of Dalton, owner of the new Ado Salon in the Abington Shopping Center, has been in the hair styling bus...