First Posted: 10/31/2007
The Clarks Summit United Methodist Church Congregation recently celebrated two anniversaries in the life of the church. The first anniversary was 115 years as a congregation and the second was 40 years in the current church building on the Morgan Highway in Clarks Summit. These milestones were celebrated with a catered sit-down dinner, a presentation in pictures and music of the church history by historian Ed Kerber. The church also hosted a Community Carnival on September 16 complete with food, rides, games and fun for the whole family.
The church began meeting as a Sunday School in a hotel in Clarks Summit in 1892. They decided to build on Center Street in Clarks Summit, which was expanded upon many times. Finally, in 1962, the congregation was growing so rapidly that a new building was slated for 1310 Morgan Highway. The Church was completed and opened in 1967 and is currently the building in use by the congregation today. The CSUMC is home to many community organizations including Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Wally Gordon Community Singers, Alcoholics Anonymous and Hour Place Child Care Center.
Members of the Anniversary Committee shown are, from left, front row: Kathryn Davis, Fred Dempsey, Doris Dempsey, Gail Moncivias and Gail Butler. Back, Loriann Kerber, Audrey Thomas, Edward Kerber, Lisa Akalonis and George Akalonis. Absent from photo, Penny Musto, Mike Jordan and Shirley Valentine.