First Posted: 9/16/2009
The Governing Bodies of the eleven SAPA communities will hold a Joint Public Hearing on Wednesday, Sept. 23, from 6 to 8 p.m., at the Clarks Summit Fire Company, 321 Bedford Street, Clarks Summit.
It is the final joint meeting for accepting public comment on the SAPA Comprehensive Plan.
The Sept. 23 hearing invites comments on the draft plan from residents, business owners, and officials. Verbal or written comments are welcome. Comments will also be accepted anytime before the hearing.
A Comprehensive Plan includes a general plan for land use, transportation, environmental protection, housing, historic preservation, parks, recreation, open space and community facilities and utilities.
The SAPA draft plan is posted at: .
Hard copies are also available at:
– the Albright Memorial Library (reference desk), 500 Vine St., Scranton,
– the Abington Community Library, 1200 W. Grove St., Clarks Summit,
– the municipal offices of each of the 11 SAPA municipalities (in Scranton, 2 offices: City Clerk and Planning Dept).
The above hard copies are called working drafts. They have the same content as the draft online, but different page numbers. For this reason, please let SAPA know whether you are using the working draft or the electronic version to make comment.
SAPA (Scranton-Abingtons Planning Association) includes eleven municipalities:
– The City of Scranton;
– The Boroughs of Clarks Green, Clarks Summit, Dalton, and Dunmore;
– The Townships of Abington, Glenburn, Newton, North Abington, South Abington, and West Abington.
Comments will be accepted prior to the Sept. 23 hearing. If you are sending comments via e-mail before the hearing, please state that these are your formal comments on the SAPA draft. You may send your comments to:
– John Mullen at
– Denise Prowell (SAPA Secretary)
– Don King (Scranton City Planner) at .
If you are sending comments by US mail, please send to: The SAPA team, c/o John Mullen, McCormick Taylor, Inc., 2001 Market St., 10th floor, Philadelphia, PA 19103 or fax to John Mullen: 215.592.0682.
All comments regarding the draft plan received will be forwarded to all SAPA governing bodies. This includes:
– written comments, and notes about verbal comments, from the July 16 Final Public Info Meeting,
– written comments prior to the Sept. 23 hearing, and
– written or verbal comments from the hearing itself, during which a court stenographer will be present.