1961 – The Methodist Church of Chinchilla held a ceremonial cornerstone laying, at which Rev. George F. Goodwin, pastor, spread the mortar that sealed a historic capsule in the cornerstone. The church’s then-new structure was expected to be complete in time for Christmas services. Its former building was razed the year before, the Penn-Can Highway rolling over the site.
1962 – New books were coming in to the Dalton Community Library, and the Journal featured a photograph of Mrs. Roy Laurie, board member and Miss Evelyn Matthews, librarian chatting and looking through the volumes.
The library was established in 1948.
“Mrs. Paul Van Fleet, president of the library’s board of directors says that the success of the library is based on unselfish contributions of time and money by the Dalton Community,” states the 1962 article.
1963 – The Abington Allemanders, a local square dance club, was preparing to resume its semi-monthly dances in the auditorium of Our Lady of Peace School. Officers included Church Taylor, president; Norman DeNault, vice-president; Bob Carmick, treasurer and Bob Kretschmer, publicity. Board of directors included Donald and Thelma White, social chairmen and Joyce and Roy Janson, refreshments.
1968 – Summit Market was all ears. Ears of corn, that is. The Clarks Summit grocery store sold 15,000 ears of corn in three days, according to store owner Bruce Holden. While the average price at the time was between 60 and 75 cents per dozen, the store was able to hold a sale at 39 cents per dozen.
The store owner revealed to the Journal his strategy was in the contracting a year in advance with a new farmer for his entire crop at “one low price.”
Reach Elizabeth Baumeister at 570-704-3943 or on Twitter @AbingtonJournal