Kids: Here is a fun way to introduce yourself to your new teacher and say “hello.” Make him or her a back-to-school pencil craft.
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Yellow, pink and brown construction paper
• A black marker
• Glue or tape
• Stickers (optional)
1. Using scissors, cut a long, rectangular strip of yellow construction paper to be your pencil, a square piece of pink construction paper for the eraser on top and a triangular piece of brown for the point at the bottom.
2. Glue or tape all three pieces together with the pink eraser on one side and the brown triangle on the other. I put a thin, brown strip to cover the seem of the eraser over the pencil.
3. Use a black marker to color in the tip of the pencil to look like it’s sharpened.
4. Add a note and/or decorations. I wrote a message for the teacher on mine: “Hello Teacher, Let’s start the year off ‘WRITE!’” I also used stickers to decorate it and make it more colorful and friendly.
Jennifer Familetti is program coordinator at the Dalton Community Library. Reach the Abington Journal newsroom at 570-587-1148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.